LA College were holding a Masterclass with Hila Karmand in Limerick so I decided to attend, how could you pass up an opportunity to get a masterclass from Prince and Naomi Campbell's makeup artist? This masterclass was being held in Limerick's strand hotel. Since I don't drive (after some mortifying experiences) I was reliant on buses to get me to and from Limerick. The way the timetables work out I was in limerick a good two hours before the event.
Hila told us how she toured with Prince for 3.5 years and worked with Mac but was never professionally trained. She taught her self everything she knows. I think its really inspiring to know this and that even though she wasn't professionally trained her passion and love of makeup took on the path she wanted to go. Its great to know that with enough passion and practice anything is possible!
- Train your eyes to recognize color, don't depend on names. You will be able to work faster this way and if your stuck with an unfamiliar brand you will be able to find a color easily.
- One eye will always be rounder than the other, don't try to get them the same, work with the shape as they will never be symmetrical.
- Do your eyes first even best shadows have fallout. At least this way you wont have to worry about your base.
- February shows are for autumn winter and September shows are for spring summer. Keep an eye on these shows for upcoming trends. Its an easy to keep updated with fashion and beauty.
- Kim Kardashion look is not a desirable for photographers, they want clean makeup where they can see skin. (Wayne Goss recently did a video on this I think Makeup is definitely changing towards a more natural clean looks. Kim Kardashian's look is very heavy)
- Estee Lauder's double wear foundation sells a bottle very three minutes!
- Brands are not as important in a makeup kit as knowing how to work with them
- Contour using small brush fluffy brush and circle upwards - try using a darker foundation or concealer for this.
- If your skin reacts to something don't use makeup remover just wash with lukewarm water and if needed use a oil based remover.
- Word of mouth is the fastest most important way to promote yourself no matter what your job or profession is.
- Start applying your foundation in middle of your face then work outward. That way your skin is given necessary coverage but your skin looks lighter and fresher. Basically avoiding cake face ha ha.
- Never say no.
- Know your worth, no matter what you do this is very important!